National Password Day – Security Tips
In honor of World Password Day on May 6, 2021 cyberconIQ has a couple tips on how to #LayerUp your old passwords!
World Password Day – Timeline
Prior to technological advances, passwords were uncommon. They were mostly used by secret societies. For a brief timeline that shows how society moved to adopt World Password Day, see the following:
- In 1961, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) created the computer password. The purpose? Enabling multiple individuals to use a single computer system.
- In 1976, the emergence of public-key cryptography enabled two computer users to authenticate one another without the transfer of a cryptographic key.
- In 1978, researchers published the first study demonstrating that guessing passwords based on a person’s identity was easier than cracking passwords with computers.
- By 1986, two-factor authentication came onto the scene. It received a high level of adoption.
- 2013 saw the creation of World Password Day.
In conclusion, if you are second guessing your reliable password, please do everyone a favor and CHANGE IT! This is one of the ways you can stop an attack before it happens, by #LayeringUp your passwords.
Learn more about our Cyber Risk Management Platform here.